The danger of button batteries

We were all devasted to hear the death of Harper-Lee Fanthorpe, who swallowed a button battery she found in a remote control.Hence this week's community education campaign is organised by the Child Accident Prevention Trust (CAPT) to share safety knowledge to protect children from the dangers of these harmful batteries

Why are button batteries so dangerous for toddlers?

• Button batteries, especially big, powerful lithium coin cell batteries, can badly hurt or kill a child if they are swallowed and get stuck in the throat or gullet.

• Toddlers are at risk because they like to explore taste and texture by mouth. They are increasingly dextrous so can get into battery compartments or drawers to find spare or ‘flat’ batteries.

• Button batteries are in many household items such as car key fobs, small remote controls, gaming headsets, kitchen and bathroom scales, calculators, children’s toys, children’s thermometers and musical books and cards.

• Even ‘flat’ button batteries still have enough charge to badly hurt a child.

• Button batteries can burn a hole through the throat or gullet and cause catastrophic internal bleeding within 2 hours

How do I reduce the risk?

• Store spare batteries in sealed containers in a high cupboard.

• Keep objects out of reach if the battery compartment isn’t secured with a screw.

• Take care buying on-line or from markets or discount stores, as cheap toys may not follow safety regulations.

• Put ‘flat’ batteries out of reach straight away and recycle or dispose of them safely

What do you do if you suspect swallowing has occurred?

• There may be no obvious symptoms.

• Don’t delay, take them to A&E immediately or dial 999 for an ambulance

• Tell the doctor you think they have swallowed a button battery and take any packaging with you.

• Don’t let your child eat or drink anything and do not make them sick.

Join the treasure hunt for grown-ups #BatteryHunt
The Child Accident Prevention trust is also encouraging adults to join in the hunt to rid our homes of these dangerous batteries from the week starting Monday 27th July.To take part in this amazing project and learn more about it, click this link

Starting a conversation
Sharing this knowledge can be life-saving. Educating ourselves on these dangers is the best way to protect our children, so get sharing! 

 

 

What would you like as main media?: 
image