What is it?
Caring Dads is a group intervention programme aiming to help fathers, of any age, improve their relationship with their children. It helps dads learn how to spend time with children in healthy ways, and to understand the impact on children of controlling, abusive and neglectful actions, which include witnessing domestic violence. The programme is evidence-based and has been refined over the last 10 years.
Who is it for?
This programme is for men who want to be a positive force in their children’s lives.
- We accept referrals from individuals and other organisations.
- We check fathers are suitable for the programme before it starts with a screening interview.
- Fathers need to be having contact with their children at least every two weeks.
What does it do?
Fathers learn how to spend time with children in healthy ways, understanding the impact on children of controlling, abusive and neglectful actions, including domestic violence
Ofsted inspectors talked at length to a Caring Dad and member of St Michael’s staff delivering the programme about the process and impact. They were impressed with how the programme supports younger dads too. In their report, they stated:
“St Michael’s Fellowship programmes strengthen parenting for vulnerable young parents and safeguard their children exceptionally well. The work is extraordinarily powerful in changing young men and women’s attitudes to gangs and offending; it improves their relationships and helps them to sustain the care of their children safely.”
Further links highlighting research that supports Caring Dads:
- NSPCC ‘Caring Dads: Safer Children‘ Evaluation Report
- St Michael’s Fellowship ‘The Caring Dads Programme with young fathers in Lambeth’ a pilot carried out between 2015-2017
- American Psychological Association “Caring Dads, Safer Children: A families’ perspective on an intervention for maltreating fathers”
- University of Birmingham ‘Caring Dads Safer Children’ by Julie Taylor
- A link to a Caring Dads programme running in Leeds.
Residential Assessment Centres
Supporting families to keep children safe, healthy and happy
Supporting parents in the community after a residential assessment
Outreach Young Parent Support
Supporting mothers and fathers in South London
Jigsaw Contact Centre
A child-friendly contact service
Caring Dads is a group intervention programme aiming to help fathers, of any age, improve their relationship with their children.
Our meeting room, in the heart of Streatham, is available for hire at great rates.
To help us keep families together
Subscribe to our mailing list
Receive stories about our work
Sign-up for news
Jobs, new services and updates